Streamy Awards 2023
Netflix’s strengths that none of its rival streamers can match embody its measurement and international attain, which give the streaming large the assets to launch a staggering quantity of recent releases from one week to the following. Even figuring out that, although, good luck maintaining with all of it — significantly in the event you’re a busy skilled like me or have a household and are thus pressed for time within the evenings or on the weekends.
If you happen to’re quick on time for no matter cause, this publish is very for you. We’ve rounded up a number of Netflix collection that every one provide the identical profit: Whereas they span myriad genres, all of them have quick sufficient seasons that you may simply binge them over the course of a day, or a weekend in the event you choose. Which means they’re good in the event you don’t have a great deal of free time to spend money on a brand new collection.
Brief on time? These Netflix collection are fast binges
These first three collection to take a look at from the streaming large embody some comparatively new titles within the US, and we’ll kick issues off with a drama concerning the first feminine lawyer in Italy.
The Regulation In accordance with Lidia Poet (6 episodes)
Within the temper for a collection that mixes historical past, gender politics, and a bit of thriller? The Regulation In accordance with Lidia Poet is a 6-episode Netflix collection that dramatizes the story of Italy’s first feminine lawyer and is about in Turin in the course of the late 1800s. It additionally boasts an ideal 100% rating from critics on Rotten Tomatoes.
Within the present, the titular Lidia has simply been handed a defeat by the Turin Court docket of Appeals, which declares her admission to the bar affiliation illegal.
Prevented from practising legislation simply because she’s a girl, Lidia secures a job at her brother’s legislation agency, helps defend felony suspects, and prepares an enchantment of the court docket’s ruling in her case. Moreover, Lidia fights to alter the legal guidelines (written by males) that hold ladies like her from turning into legal professionals.
A protagonist who always surprises her opponents along with her intelligence, irony, and manner with phrases, The Regulation In accordance with Lidia Poet is a breezy watch that’s resonated with each critics and followers. It’s additionally simply been renewed for a second season.
Bodily 100 (9 episodes)
This subsequent present, in the meantime, is a Korean actuality collection that obtained a lift from BTS member Jungkook, who talked up the present throughout a livestream and helped flip Bodily 100 into much more of a world hit than it already was.
Due to JK, Bodily 100 rapidly turned one of many most-watched Netflix collection on the earth It’s mainly a contest involving strength-related challenges, all for a money prize, and right here’s the official Netflix synopsis: “100 contestants in prime bodily form compete in a collection of grueling challenges to assert the respect — and money reward — because the final one standing.”
The challenges embody seeing who can hold the longest from a bar suspended above a pool to Ssireum, which is a standard type of Korean wrestling. The last word prize for the final man or girl standing? 300 million gained, equal to about $250,000. This collection, too, has been renewed for a second season.
From Scratch (8 episodes)
Tembi Locke’s 2019 memoir From Scratch begins by leaping ahead in time, with a recounting of the writer driving alongside a winding nation highway by a small Sicilian village in a rusted Fiat, her husband’s ashes in a small field tucked between her legs. “In Sicily,” she writes, “each story begins with a wedding or loss of life.”
In Locke’s case, the story begins with each, although it actually doesn’t finish there. Her memoir about dropping and discovering love was tailored into the Netflix collection From Scratch, starring Zoe Saldana as a younger American named Amy Wheeler.
The present dramatizes Locke’s story about finding out overseas in Italy years in the past and falling in love with a Sicilian chef. It rapidly rocketed all the best way to the head of the Netflix High 10 TV chart within the US when it was launched, however be warned: This collection is kind of a tear-jerker.
“I really feel like this collection sends out a really stunning message concerning the transition that occurs after somebody u love passes to the following life,” one viewer mentioned concerning the collection on Twitter. “I hope it by no means will get taken off Netflix.”
Extra Netflix collection with quick seasons to take a look at
These subsequent Netflix collection, in the meantime, go a bit of farther again and embody a number of the highest-profile releases to hit the streamer in current months (in addition to some hidden gems) — once more, sticking with this concept of reveals providing a small variety of episodes that may be completed over the course of a weekend, at most.
These breezy, binge-able Netflix reveals embody every part from foreign-language dramas to driving docuseries, fan-favorite thrillers, and way more.
- Wednesday (8 episodes): If you happen to’re one of many few individuals on the planet who hasn’t tried this large Netflix hit but, this collection is an Addams Household spinoff centered on the title character, Wednesday Addams.
- Girls at Warfare (8 episodes): This restricted collection follows 4 ladies grappling with the devastating penalties of World Warfare I on the homefront.
- Narco-Saints (6 episodes): This Korean crime collection is a couple of businessman who joins a secret authorities mission to seize a Korean drug lord in South America.
- The Playlist (6 episodes): A dramatization of the rise of Spotify.
- The Billion Greenback Code (4 episodes): Restricted collection dramatizing occasions that led to the launch of Google Earth, centered round a high-stakes patent battle between Google and a tiny, scrappy startup. Halt and Catch Hearth followers? This one is unquestionably for you.
- Madoff: The Monster of Wall Road (4 episodes): Restricted collection chronicling the rise and fall of the late disgraced financier Bernie Madoff.
- The Queen’s Gambit (7 episodes): Based mostly on the 1983 novel of the identical identify, this Netflix restricted collection — which tells the story of an orphan who develops a flair for chess and goes on to turn out to be a champion — is so good, it reinvigorated demand for the sport and led to a wave of chess set-buying all over the world.
- Spycraft (8 episodes): This docuseries goes deep on how secret brokers do their job utilizing their very specific set of abilities and instruments of the commerce.
- The Pharmacist (4 episodes): The hit new Netflix collection Painkiller had me chasing down this one. Directed by Julia Willoughby Nason and Jenner Furst, this restricted collection paperwork how one man channeled his grief after the lack of his son right into a campaign in opposition to the ability gamers behind the opioid epidemic.
- Snow Woman (6 episodes): If you happen to’re within the temper for thriller and don’t thoughts subtitles, this Spanish-language drama is a couple of journalist who units out to discover a mission lady in one of many oldest cities on the earth.
- Beef (10 episodes): The most effective Netflix collection not solely of 2023 however probably ever (I’m not exaggerating), this drama from A24 stars Ali Wong and Steven Yeun as two Angelinos who get entangled in a highway rage encounter — which is actually, for us the viewers — an entry level into the despair and anger swirling round in every of them.
- The Empress (6 episodes): Consider this German-language Netflix collection, based mostly on the true story of Austria’s Empress Sisi, as a form of German spin on The Crown.
- Lupin (10 episodes throughout 2 seasons): Per Netflix: “Impressed by the adventures of Arsène Lupin, gentleman thief Assane Diop units out to avenge his father for an injustice inflicted by a rich household.”
- Russian Doll (15 episodes throughout 2 seasons): Natasha Lyonne is the showrunner and star of this Emmy-winning collection, during which she portrays Nadia — who, in Season 1, is a girl caught in a surreal time loop as she retains dying and reliving her thirty sixth birthday celebration.
- 1899 (8 episodes): Netflix canceled this collection after 1 season, however it’s nicely value your time, regardless. From the makers of Netflix’s Darkish, this present follows an immigrant ship from Europe certain for New York Metropolis … and the weird mysteries that it encounters alongside the best way.
- Misplaced Ollie (4 episodes): This Netflix restricted collection didn’t get close to the eye it deserved when it debuted in August of 2022. A very simplistic technique to describe it’s as a type of Toy Story for adults — or, at the very least, for extra mature viewers. This collection was impressed by the e book Ollie’s Odyssey by writer and illustrator William Joyce, and Netflix summarizes it as, mainly, “an epic journey a couple of misplaced toy who braves the various risks of childhood as he searches the countryside to reunite with the boy who misplaced him.”
- Gunther’s Hundreds of thousands (4 episodes): That outdated saying about fact being stranger than fiction? Somebody clearly got here up with it to seek advice from Netflix collection like this one, during which we meet a canine with a belief fund and his proprietor residing a luxe life with a cult-like entourage.
- Maid (10 episodes): This collection, impressed by Stephanie Land’s New York Occasions bestselling memoir Maid: Laborious Work, Low Pay, And A Mom’s Will To Survive, follows the story of “Alex,” performed by Margaret Qualley. She’s “a single mom who turns to house-cleaning to — barely — make ends meet as she escapes an abusive relationship and overcomes homelessness to create a greater life for her daughter, Maddy,” the official Netflix synopsis explains. This collection, it continues, “is a uncooked and provoking exploration of a mom’s resilience.”